This exercise attempts to tell a whole story in one quick scene.
Write only 5 sentences.
It can be prose or written with line breaks and an ear for the music of the line.
There are two preliminary steps.
1. Remember a person you know well, or invent a person.
2. Imagine a place where you find the person.
Is s/he waiting at the airport? Is s/he grilling steak in the kitchen? Is s/he opening a back door?
1. Describe the person’s hands.
2. Describe something he or she is doing with the hands.
3. Use a metaphor to say something about some exotic place.
4. Mention what you would want to ask this person in the context of 2 and 3, above.
5. The person looks up or toward you, notices you there, gives an answer that suggests he or she getspart of what you asked.
I don’t remember where this exercise came from, but thanks to whoever, wherever; happy writing.